Action Research Project
Process Overview
Increasing Parental Involvement to Increase Student Achievement
1. Setting the Foundation --
Through the collaboration and during meetings with the Parent Liaison, principal, and/or
other entities such as the Site Based Decision making committee decisions can be made as
how to involve our parents into the school to improve student success on standardized
assessments.
2. Analyzing Data --
Through the use of a variety of data gathering (surveys in English/Spanish to the
parents of 11th grade students) and also through electronic searches (search the ERIC data
base, using Google search engines, visiting the AASA, and the NASSP websites) to find
information relating to this topic.
3. Developing Deeper Understanding --
From the use of the methods to gather data mentioned in step number 2, more questions
are likely to pop up in comparison to the answers. It is important to note that because of
this there might be a shift to the actual beginning question. It is important for the action
researcher to remain flexible and not to just make the research fit into this one particular
question. Through the use of interviewing, observations, survey results, and the
research found a deeper understanding about this issue will begin to immerge.
4. Engage in Self-Reflection --
Self reflection is a critical component of the Action Plan Research packet. This allows for
the researcher to look into the information found and then ask questions that make sure
they are on target with what they are looking for.
Is the data I am looking at valid and reliable?
Is there going to a real outcome to this project?
How will I get the parents to buy into this project?
5. Exploring Programmatic Patterns --
During this part of the Plan, I must make sure that I seek the advice of my on-site supervisor
and any other colleagues that would offer me concrete and real advice/criticism. This would
also include the Parent Liaison, parent volunteers, and the principal. It is crucial that during
this entire process that steps four and five are on-going and productive.
1. Determining Direction –
Again, here it is important to make sure that I am staying the course. I must make sure that
I can answer these questions:
A. Are you clear on what your attempting to solve?
I am looking to see if increased parent involvement increases student success on
standardized assessments.
B. Have you adequately addressed the skills and resources questions?
I have the skills needed for this but I will need to search for resources.
C. Have you established a collaborative approach to this question?
Not yet, but once school begins I will implement this.
D. Are your timelines realistic?
I believe they are. Changes can be made once a committee is put in place.
E. Do you have a reasonable plan to monitor the project?
As of right now, I would have to say the plan is a working plan basically meaning I will
change it as the research actually begins.
F. Do you have a reasonable plan for determining the level of success – how do you
evaluate if the plan is effective?
I will evaluate the plan using the results from the survey. Once we get these in we can
begin to implement necessary changes. More than likely this will take place over a two
year period.
G. How will you revise and improve the plan based on monitoring and evaluation?
Using the self reflection questions and meeting with the committee any alterations to the
plan will be made.
2. Taking Action for School Improvement –
Due to the information found during this Action Research Project using the Action Plan
Template from Part II, the committee will meet to discuss how the research is progressing a
and in which direction we need to go in.
Tool 7.1 Action Planning Template
____________________________________________________________________________
Goal: Implement programs that increase parent involvement to increase to student
performance on standardized assessments.
Action Person(s) Timeline: Needed Evaluation
Steps Responsible Start/End Resources
1. Begin on Research Literature
Allen Wilson
August 2010
Time, Internet
Find information that is related to this topic and how it could be used at Lanier High School.
2.Meet with Parent Liaison at Lanier HS
Allen Wilson/Tina Morales
August 2010
Time, Internet
Begin to make a list of ways to actively involve parents in school. Begin Parent Survey
3.Create committee of school members/parent volunteers
Allen Wilson/Tina Morales
September 2010
Time, Meeting Room, reference materials
Create a committee that is dedicated in increasing parental involvement.
4.Research as a group
Committee members
October 2010
Time, Internet
Search for ways to increase parent involvement.
5.Share information within group
Committee members
November 2010
Time, Internet
Sharing out the information gathered and begin to outline a plan.
8. Sustain Improvement --
In this last section of the Action Research Plan, some positive effects will take place or
instead there might be some ways to improve on the things that the school is currently
doing. It is essential to share these events, findings, and ideas so we can sustain
improvement with issues of improving parent involvement and student success on
standardized assessments.
Allen,
ReplyDeleteI did not see any reference to the ethnic breakdown in your school. This may determine some of the choices you make, along with parent work schedules, in order to get parents more involved. Have you determined what type of involvement you want yet, or is that what the initial meeting is for? This looks like a well thought out plan. Good luck
Allen,
ReplyDeleteyou did not comment on how many students or what students you are going to monitor. Other than that very well designed plan.
Allen,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to recommend using registration days and open house to give surveys. My son's school sent out a survey as part of his registration packet and has asked us to return it with all the other paper work. During open house I always give my parents a short survey that addresses how I can better serve my students. May you can get several teachers to hand these out. Or ask some classes such as government/health/family development to take surveys home as part of their class work. Just some ideas to collect data.
Allen,
ReplyDeleteI am curious to see the answers you get from the surveys you give to the parents. Often I have felt that as a school we do not communicate enough with our parents, and then we wonder why they don't participate. Hopefully you will gain a better understanding of how to improve the parent participation with the comments you recieve from the parents. Good luck.